Top 10 Republican Lies of 2009
10. There is a liberal media bias. This lie is not new, it is what those like Fox and Rush Limbaugh use to justify their incredible bias. The reality is the true bias appears obviously on Fox News, Talk Radio and so called Christian Broadcasting and bias is far right. On the left there is Air America Radio and a few other smatterings of Liberal Talk like Stephanie Miller and Ed Schultz. But try to find it on your radio dial sometime. The right has been successful with their ownership in most radio networks and advertiser boycotts to keep it from being on any major radio stations. On television there is MSNBC, at least in the evenings. The rest of the main stream media is all owned and controlled by huge corporate interests, if anything their bias is to the right.
9. Americans don't want health reform. One reason Barack Obama was elected was his stance on health reform. In addition when Americans are polled on what is actually being put into legislation they are overwhelming for it. Yet with all the misinformation and lies put out by big insurance and the republicans for greed and political reasons, there is understandably confusion among the electorate.
8. Barack Obama is not a Citizen of the United States. Yes this lie is stupid, has been proven false again and again, and should be laughed at. Yet there are still those that promote this lie to this day. What is sad, it includes Congressmen, Senators and even Sarah Palin.
7. Obama is the most partisan President in History. The facts prove he is quite the opposite. Even with their clear announced intentions to fight every thing President Obama does, even with their attempts to block, stop and not give a single vote to any legislation that is being worked on on behalf of the American People, the President has compromised anyway much to the distress of the left. The Stimulus package was way smaller then most on the left wanted and the Health Care Reform bill does not have a public option in any form. This is compromise, this is bipartisan ship. He has done so even knowing not one Republican will vote on the legislation no matter what is in it.
6. The Health Care Bill was Rushed. This lie is laughable. It was 40 years ago Senator Edward Kennedy gave his first speech on the floor on the need for Health Care Reform. All we have heard about since last summer is Health Care Reform. It has dominated Congress, the news and many Americans lives. Republicans have successfully delayed it, stalled it, put obstructions in the way for months. This bill has not been rushed it has been dragged out way too long at the peril of the thousands of Americans that have died do to lack of insurance these past months.
5. The Stimulus was a failure. Really now? Did I miss the second great depression we were heading toward? Am I missing soup lines, food rationing, massive closures of retail stores? Am I missing thousands of boarded up banks and financial institutions? Is the auto industry gone? No of course not the stimulus, the TARP and other things implemented by President Obama and his economic team stopped the bleeding from the deep wounds left by the Republicans and George W. Bush. All with less then 1/2 the Stimulus money being actually spent to date. From here is all up.
4. Health Care Reform is going to pay for abortion with Tax dollars. No, it never was, it never will. From the very beginning the Hyde Amendment which prevents the use of federal funds being used for abortions was affirmed in the language of the Health Care bills. There was never any attempt to take that out. . This was a lie plain and simple to confuse and delay the bill, period.
3.Obama is raising your taxes. This is the easiest lie to verify yet the one most believe. Look at your damn paycheck for God's sakes. YOUR TAXES HAVE GONE DOWN! In fact the federal tax rate is at its lowest rate in 70 years. The only people even in danger of a tax hike are those that make over $250,000 a year that is less that 5% of the country. So Teabaggers protest all you want, but the facts are the facts, taxes have not gone up.
2.ACORN has committed illegal acts. This lie has been very successful by the right. It resulted in legislation voted on by many Democrats to cut funding for programs that were run and bid on in a fair process by ACORN. The fact is after numerous investigations and court hearings ACORN has been proven innocent. There was no election fraud, there was no mortgage fraud, there was no assistance in setting up illegal operations. In fact the only crime that has been committed was by those Con artists that created and falsified a slanderous movie.
1. Death Panels. Though most Americans do not believe this one, it was however perhaps the most sick, and most ignorant lie of the year. It was brought to America by that lovable brainless barbie doll, Sarah Palin. It wasn't long after it was picked up by the Tea baggers, The ignorant Palin wanna bees like Jeanette Moll and unfortunately some people that have actually been elected to Congress. This lie was horrible because it scared many elder Americans for no reason whatsoever.
Ok that's my list, feel free to add more in the comments I may have missed.
I know I left out some obvious ones like, Fox is a news organization and Sarah Palin has an IQ above 10, but had to stop it somewhere.